Monday, March 03, 2008

Doomsday Seedbank Is Ready For Storage

Svalbard Global Seed Vault Scoffs at Nuclear Winter

seedbank-1.jpg

The Svalbard Global Seed Vault in Longyearbyen, Norway is officialy open for business and ready to start collecting seeds. The vault will hold over 100 million seeds from all over the world in case the world (except Norway) explodes or is otherwise torn to shreds. The whole compound is made of fortified concrete and can withstand "nuclear missile attacks or a plunging plane." Well this is great news for the Geekologie writer, and I, for one, have already sent in several samples of my seed. *wink, wink* You catch my drift? It's a tomato hybrid I developed myself, I'm really proud.

A ton more pictures of the compound after the jump.

seedbank-2.jpg

seedbank-3.jpg

seedbank-4.jpg

seedbank-5.jpg

seedbank-6.jpg

No comments: